New American Standard Bible
The Blessings of Redemption
3 (I)Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in (J)the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as (K)He chose us in Him before (L)the foundation of the world, that we would be (M)holy and blameless before [d]Him. (N)In love 5 [e]He (O)predestined us to (P)adoption as sons and daughters through Jesus Christ to Himself, (Q)according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 (R)to the praise of the glory of His grace, with which He favored us in (S)the Beloved. 7 (T)In [f]Him we have (U)redemption (V)through His blood, the (W)forgiveness of our wrongdoings, according to (X)the riches of His grace 8 which He [g]lavished on [h]us. In all wisdom and insight 9 He [i](Y)made known to us the mystery of His will, (Z)according to His good pleasure which He (AA)set forth in Him, 10 regarding His plan of (AB)the fullness of the times, (AC)to bring all things together in Christ, things [j]in the heavens and things on the earth. 11 [k]In Him we also (AD)have obtained an inheritance, having been (AE)predestined (AF)according to the purpose of Him who works all things (AG)in accordance with the plan of His will, 12 to the end that [l]we who were the first to hope in the [m]Christ would be (AH)to the praise of His glory. 13 In [n]Him, [o]you also, after listening to (AI)the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also [p]believed, you were (AJ)sealed in [q]Him with (AK)the Holy Spirit of the promise, 14 who is a (AL)first installment of (AM)our inheritance, in regard to the (AN)redemption of (AO)God’s own possession, (AP)to the praise of His glory.
15 For this reason I too, (AQ)having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you and [r]your love for (AR)all the [s]saints, 16 (AS)do not cease giving thanks for you, (AT)while making mention of you in my prayers; 17 that the (AU)God of our Lord Jesus Christ, (AV)the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of (AW)wisdom and of (AX)revelation in the [t]knowledge of Him. 18 I pray that (AY)the eyes of your heart [u]may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the (AZ)hope of His (BA)calling, what are (BB)the riches of the glory of (BC)His inheritance in (BD)the [v]saints, 19 and what is the [w]boundless greatness of His power toward us who believe. (BE)These are in accordance with the working of the (BF)strength of His might 20 which He brought about in Christ, when He (BG)raised Him from the dead and (BH)seated Him at His right hand in (BI)the heavenly places, 21 far above (BJ)all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every (BK)name that is named, not only in (BL)this age but also in the one to come. 22 And He (BM)put all things in subjection under His feet, and made Him (BN)head over all things to the church, 23 which is His (BO)body, the (BP)fullness of Him who (BQ)fills (BR)all in all.
- Ephesians 1:1 Lit through
- Ephesians 1:1 Lit holy ones; i.e., God’s people
- Ephesians 1:1 Three early mss do not contain at Ephesus
- Ephesians 1:4 Or Him, in love. He
- Ephesians 1:5 Lit having predestined
- Ephesians 1:7 Lit whom
- Ephesians 1:8 Lit made abundant toward
- Ephesians 1:8 Or us in all wisdom and insight. He
- Ephesians 1:9 Lit making known
- Ephesians 1:10 Lit upon
- Ephesians 1:11 Lit In whom also
- Ephesians 1:12 I.e., Jewish believers
- Ephesians 1:12 I.e., Messiah
- Ephesians 1:13 Lit whom
- Ephesians 1:13 I.e., Gentile believers
- Ephesians 1:13 Or believed in Him, you were sealed
- Ephesians 1:13 Lit whom
- Ephesians 1:15 Three early mss do not contain your love
- Ephesians 1:15 Lit holy ones; i.e., God’s people
- Ephesians 1:17 Or true knowledge
- Ephesians 1:18 Lit having been
- Ephesians 1:18 See note 2 v 15
- Ephesians 1:19 Lit surpassing
New International Version
2 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.(F)
Praise for Spiritual Blessings in Christ
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,(G) who has blessed us in the heavenly realms(H) with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us(I) in him before the creation of the world(J) to be holy and blameless(K) in his sight. In love(L) 5 he[b] predestined(M) us for adoption to sonship[c](N) through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure(O) and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace,(P) which he has freely given us in the One he loves.(Q) 7 In him we have redemption(R) through his blood,(S) the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches(T) of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, 9 he[d] made known to us the mystery(U) of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed(V) in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment(W)—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.(X)
11 In him we were also chosen,[e] having been predestined(Y) according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose(Z) of his will, 12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.(AA) 13 And you also were included in Christ(AB) when you heard the message of truth,(AC) the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal,(AD) the promised Holy Spirit,(AE) 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance(AF) until the redemption(AG) of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.(AH)
Thanksgiving and Prayer
15 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus(AI) and your love for all God’s people,(AJ) 16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you,(AK) remembering you in my prayers.(AL) 17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father,(AM) may give you the Spirit[f] of wisdom(AN) and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened(AO) in order that you may know the hope to which he has called(AP) you, the riches(AQ) of his glorious inheritance(AR) in his holy people,(AS) 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power(AT) is the same as the mighty strength(AU) 20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead(AV) and seated him at his right hand(AW) in the heavenly realms,(AX) 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion,(AY) and every name(AZ) that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.(BA) 22 And God placed all things under his feet(BB) and appointed him to be head(BC) over everything for the church, 23 which is his body,(BD) the fullness of him(BE) who fills everything in every way.(BF)
- Ephesians 1:1 Some early manuscripts do not have in Ephesus.
- Ephesians 1:5 Or sight in love. 5 He
- Ephesians 1:5 The Greek word for adoption to sonship is a legal term referring to the full legal standing of an adopted male heir in Roman culture.
- Ephesians 1:9 Or us with all wisdom and understanding. 9 And he
- Ephesians 1:11 Or were made heirs
- Ephesians 1:17 Or a spirit
The Passion Translation
1 Dear friends,
My name is Paul, and I was chosen by God to be an apostle of Jesus, the Messiah. 2 I’m writing this letter to all the devoted believers[a] who have been made holy[b] by being one with Jesus, the Anointed One.
May God himself, the heavenly Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, release grace over you and impart total well-being[c] into your lives.
Our Sonship and the Father’s Plan
3 Every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realm has already been lavished upon us as a love gift from our wonderful heavenly Father, the Father of our Lord Jesus—all because he sees us wrapped into Christ. This is why we celebrate him[d] with all our hearts!
4 And in love he chose us before he laid the foundation of the universe![e] Because of his great love, he ordained us, so that we would be seen as holy in his eyes with an unstained innocence.
5–6 For it was always in his perfect plan[f] to adopt[g] us as his delightful children, through our union with Jesus, the Anointed One, so that his tremendous love that cascades over us would glorify his grace[h]—for the same love he has for the Beloved, Jesus, he has for us. And this unfolding plan brings him great pleasure!
7 Since we are now joined to Christ, we have been given the treasures of redemption by his blood—the total cancellation[i] of our sins—all because of the cascading riches[j] of his grace. 8 This superabundant grace is already powerfully working in us,[k] releasing all forms of wisdom and practical understanding. 9 And through the revelation of the Anointed One, he unveiled his secret desires to us—the hidden mystery of his long-range plan, which he was delighted to implement from the very beginning of time. 10 And because of God’s unfailing purpose, this detailed plan will reign supreme through every period of time until the fulfillment of all the ages finally reaches its climax—when God makes all things new[l] in all of heaven and earth through Jesus Christ.
11 Through our union with Christ we too have been claimed by God as his own inheritance.[m] Before we were even born, he gave us our destiny;[n] that we would fulfill the plan of God who always accomplishes every purpose and plan in his heart. 12 God’s purpose was that we Jews, who were the first to long for the messianic hope, would be the first to believe in the Anointed One and bring great praise and glory to God!
13 And because of him, when you who are not Jews heard the revelation[o] of truth, you believed in the wonderful news of salvation. Now we have been stamped with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit.[p]
14 He is given to us like an engagement ring,[q] as the first installment of what’s coming! He is our hope-promise of a future inheritance[r] which seals us until we have all of redemption’s promises and experience complete freedom—all for the supreme glory and honor of God!
Paul Prays for the Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation
15 Because of this, since I first heard about your strong faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and your tender love toward all his devoted ones, 16 my heart is always full and overflowing with thanks to God for you as I constantly remember you in my prayers.[s] 17 I pray that the Father of glory, the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, would impart to you the riches of the Spirit of wisdom and the Spirit of revelation[t] to know him through your deepening intimacy with him.
18 I pray that the light of God will illuminate the eyes of your imagination,[u] flooding you with light, until you experience the full revelation of the hope of his calling[v]—that is, the wealth of God’s glorious inheritances that he finds in us, his holy ones!
19 I pray that you will continually experience the immeasurable greatness of God’s power made available to you through faith. Then your lives will be an advertisement of this immense power as it works through you! This is the mighty power 20 that was released when God raised Christ from the dead and exalted him[w] to the place of highest honor and supreme authority[x] in the heavenly realm! 21 And now he is exalted as first above every ruler, authority, government, and realm of power in existence! He is gloriously enthroned over every name that is ever praised,[y] not only in this age,[z] but in the age that is coming![aa]
22 And he alone is the leader and source of everything needed in the church. God has put everything beneath the authority of Jesus Christ[ab] and has given him the highest rank above all others. 23 And now we, his church, are his body on the earth and that which fills him who is being filled by it![ac]
- 1:2 Recent manuscripts add the words “those who are in Ephesus.” The oldest manuscripts have “to the Ephesians” written in the margin. This would reinforce the theory that it is meant to be read and distributed to all the churches. Although the book bears the name “Ephesians,” some scholars believe that this letter could be the missing letter to the Laodiceans mentioned in Col. 4:16. Regardless, Ephesians contains crucial truths for believers worldwide.
- 1:2 Or “to the saints [holy ones] and the faithful in Christ Jesus.” Notice that God is the one who makes us holy, but our response is to be “faithful” (or “devoted”).
- 1:2 Or “peace.” The Hebrew concept of peace means much more than tranquility.
- 1:3 Or “bless” (or “blessed be God”).
- 1:4 There is an alternate Greek translation of the unique wording of this verse that could be translated “He chose us to be a ‘word’ before the fall of the world.” The Greek word for “chose” is eklegomai, which is a form of lego (speak). The word for “fall” (Adam’s fall) is kataboles, which can mean “falling down,” but is usually translated as “foundation” (of the world).
- 1:5–6 Or “He marked out our horizon [destiny] beforehand.”
- 1:5–6 The Aramaic reads “to establish us.”
- 1:5–6 Or “to praise upon praise of the glory of his grace.”
- 1:7 Or “forgiveness.” The Greek word aphesis means “to send away” or “to set free” (from bondage).
- 1:7 The Greek word for “riches” (ploutos) is also used to describe God’s wisdom and knowledge in Rom. 11:33. Just as God is all-knowing and has all-wisdom, so he has untold riches of grace available for his children.
- 1:8 Or “lavished on us.”
- 1:10 As translated from the Aramaic. The Greek text states “God will gather together all things in fulfillment in Christ.” That is, God will unite all things under the headship of Christ.
- 1:11 The Greek construction of this phrase can mean either that God appointed us (Gr. klēroō, chosen by casting lots) to be his inheritance, or that we have been appointed an inheritance.
- 1:11 Or “estate.”
- 1:13 The Greek text is logos or “word of God.”
- 1:13 Some Aramaic manuscripts add here “who was announced by the angels.”
- 1:14 The Greek word used here can be translated “pledge,” “down payment” or “engagement ring.”
- 1:14 The Aramaic word used for “inheritance” can also be translated “dividend.”
- 1:16 The literal Aramaic text can be translated “I began confessing on your behalf and praying.”
- 1:17 Or “discovery.”
- 1:18 Or “innermost” (heart).
- 1:18 Or “to which he is calling you.”
- 1:20 Or “he seated him” (enthroned).
- 1:20 Or “at his right hand,” a metaphor for the place of honor and authority.
- 1:21 As translated from the Aramaic.
- 1:21 The Aramaic word can be translated “universe.”
- 1:21 As translated from the Aramaic.
- 1:22 Both Greek and Aramaic texts use the figure of speech “under his feet,” which means he has conquered, subdued, and now rules over them.
- 1:23 That is, as we are those who are filled (completed) by Christ, we also complete (fill) him. What a wonderful and humbling mystery is revealed by this verse.
New King James Version
1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God,
To the saints who are in Ephesus, and faithful in Christ Jesus:
2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Redemption in Christ
3 (A)Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as (B)He chose us in Him (C)before the foundation of the world, that we should (D)be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 (E)having predestined us to (F)adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, (G)according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, (H)by which He [a]made us accepted in (I)the Beloved.
7 (J)In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to (K)the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and [b]prudence, 9 (L)having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure (M)which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of (N)the fullness of the times (O)He might gather together in one (P)all things in Christ, [c]both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him. 11 (Q)In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to (R)the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, 12 (S)that we (T)who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard (U)the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, (V)you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 (W)who[d] is the [e]guarantee of our inheritance (X)until the redemption of (Y)the purchased possession, (Z)to the praise of His glory.
Prayer for Spiritual Wisdom
15 Therefore I also, (AA)after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 (AB)do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: 17 that (AC)the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, (AD)may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, 18 (AE)the eyes of your [f]understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is (AF)the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, (AG)according to the working of His mighty power 20 which He worked in Christ when (AH)He raised Him from the dead and (AI)seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 21 (AJ)far above all (AK)principality[g] and [h]power and [i]might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.