News Release Archive | Newsroom
Most Popular Online Bible Search Engine and Bible Reading Website
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (August 1, 2018)—Celebrating its 25th anniversary, the world’s most visited Christian website, Bible Gateway (BibleGateway.com; @BibleGateway) has been viewed more than 14 billion times by people using more than one billion devices.
“Our mission statement is ‘To honor Christ by equipping people to read and understand the Bible, wherever they are,’” says Rachel Barach, general manager, Bible Gateway. “What an honor and privilege to be able to serve so many people around the world during the last quarter-century, doing just that.”
Bible Gateway was created in 1993—when the World Wide Web was just beginning—as an internal Bible research computer tool for students at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Today it ranks number one on global search engines, is part of HarperCollins Christian Publishing, Inc., and is home to more than 200 Bible versions in more than 70 languages—a trusted resource for people in more than 200 countries who rely on it every day for all their desktop and mobile device Bible reading, listening, studying, searching, comparing, and sharing needs.
What people the world over search for in the Bible on Bible Gateway varies throughout the year, but generally remains constant from year to year. This interactive visualizing graph lets you explore how cyclical some queries are, often repeating every year around the same time each year (for example, the word “love” being searched in the Bible around Valentine’s Day in February).
Along with a new sweepstakes every month with high-value print Bibles as prizes, the website MyBibleGateway.com (#MyBibleGateway) is the hub of the 25th anniversary celebration where enthusiasts tell what Bible Gateway means to them; such comments as:
“Convenient access. Bible Gateway is not only easy to find the passage or verse you need, but to share it with social media, text, or email.”
“God has been faithful these last 25 years and we’re excited about how he will continue to use Bible Gateway to further his kingdom and help people know and share his Word,” says Barach.
Bible Gateway is device friendly, so that no matter what size device a person uses when visiting the site—desktop, tablet, smartphone—the screen is maximized for optimum viewing. And in the months to come, visitors to Bible Gateway will see a refreshed new design to the site.
The award-winning free Bible Gateway App for both Android and iOS allows people to read more than 90 Bible translations and listen to more than 20 audio Bibles, in addition to taking personal notes, highlighting text, starring favorite verses, follow Bible reading plans, enjoy night mode Bible reading, and much more.
The just-released free Bible Gateway Bible Audio App lets users listen to a variety of Bible translations, choosing from multiple audio narration styles; navigate quickly anywhere in the Bible; speed up or slow down playback to listen to the Bible at their own pace; and listen to the Bible while reading the very text that’s being narrated.
Among Bible Gateway’s many convenient features are the abilities to:
- create a free account to select personal preferences
- become a member of Bible Gateway Plus to benefit from additional acclaimed Bible study books
- receive the free Visual Verse of the Day
- access more than 200 Bible versions in more than 70 languages
- benefit from free Bible dictionaries, commentaries, and encyclopedia
- use resources for pastors
- search for Bible verses using Emoji
- listen to audio readings and productions of the Bible
- comprehensively search the Bible using keywords, phrases, topics, and themes
- display & compare up to five Bible translations side-by-side at once
- read translator footnotes within the context of Bible verses
- highlight and favorite Bible passages
- write notes while reading Bible verses and save them to a personal account
- easily share Bible verses with friends using Twitter, Facebook, email, and print
- sign up for customizable Bible reading plans
- select from more than 60 online and email devotionals
- learn personal Scripture Engagement principles and techniques
- discover new books and read Bible-related articles and interviews on the Bible Gateway Blog, named the #1 best Bible study blog on the web by Feedspot.
The top-10 keyword searches on Bible Gateway are:
The top-10 Bible verses searched and shared by users of Bible Gateway are:
- John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- Philippians 4:13 – I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 – Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
- Romans 8:28 – And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
- Galatians 5:22-23 – But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
- Isaiah 41:10 – So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Ephesians 6:10-18 – Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
The top-10 countries searching Bible Gateway are:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- South Africa
It appears tropical vacationers and resort tourists enjoy browsing Bible Gateway. Out of more than 200 countries and territories, the geographic location that spends the most time (on average) on Bible Gateway is Saint-Martin/Sint Maarten, part of the Leeward Islands in the Caribbean Sea, comprising two separate countries, divided between its northern French side (Saint-Martin), and its southern Dutch side (Sint Maarten). Sudan in northeast Africa is the country that statistically spends the least time on Bible Gateway.
About Bible Gateway
As the Internet’s most visited Christian website, Bible Gateway seeks to equip people to read and understand the Bible wherever they are. Millions of visitors from more than 200 countries regularly come to set up personal accounts and freely read, hear, search, study, compare, & share the Bible in 200+ versions & 70+ languages; read our daily Blog; subscribe to 60+ devotional email newsletters, verse-of-the-day, & Bible reading plans; and download the free award-winning Bible Gateway App and Bible Gateway Bible Audio App. Bible Gateway offers Bible study opportunities with its membership service Bible Gateway Plus—which begins with a 30-day free trial—and Bible Gateway online learning video courses. The company is part of HarperCollins Christian Publishing, Inc. See Bible Gateway’s newsroom.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jonathan Petersen, Content Manager, Bible Gateway
- Bible Gateway: https://www.biblegateway.com/
- myBibleGateway: http://www.mybiblegateway.com/
- Bible Gateway Plus: https://www.biblegateway.com/plus/
- Bible Gateway Online Bible Video Courses: https://zondervanacademic.com/bible-gateway/
- Bible Gateway Twitter stream: https://twitter.com/biblegateway
- Bible Gateway App: https://www.biblegateway.com/app/
- Bible Gateway Bible Audio App: https://www.biblegateway.com/bible-audio-app/