Holman Christian Standard Bible
10 as it is written:[a]
There is no one righteous, not even one.
11 There is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away;
all alike have become useless.
There is no one who does what is good,
not even one.(A)[b]
13 Their throat is an open grave;
they deceive with their tongues.(B)[c]
Vipers’ venom is under their lips.(C)[d]
14 Their mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.(D)[e]
15 Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 ruin and wretchedness are in their paths,
17 and the path of peace they have not known.(E)[f]
18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.(F)[g]
19 Now we know that whatever the law says(G) speaks to those who are subject to the law,[h](H) so that every mouth may be shut and the whole world may become subject to God’s judgment.[i](I) 20 For no one will be justified[j] in His sight by the works of the law,(J) because the knowledge of sin comes through the law.(K)
God’s Righteousness through Faith
21 But now, apart from the law, God’s righteousness has been revealed(L)—attested by the Law and the Prophets[k](M) 22 —that is, God’s righteousness through faith(N) in Jesus Christ,[l](O) to all who believe,(P) since there is no distinction.(Q) 23 For all have sinned(R) and fall short of the[m] glory of God.Read full chapter
- Romans 3:10 Paul constructs this charge from a chain of OT quotations, mainly from the Psalms.
- Romans 3:12 Ps 14:1-3; 53:1-3; Ec 7:20
- Romans 3:13 Ps 5:9
- Romans 3:13 Ps 140:3
- Romans 3:14 Ps 10:7
- Romans 3:17 Is 59:7-8
- Romans 3:18 Ps 36:1
- Romans 3:19 Lit those in the law
- Romans 3:19 Or become guilty before God, or may be accountable to God
- Romans 3:20 Or will be declared righteous, or will be acquitted
- Romans 3:21 When capitalized, the Law and the Prophets = OT
- Romans 3:22 Or through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ
- Romans 3:23 Or and lack the