New English Translation
7 During his earthly life[a] Christ[b] offered[c] both requests and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death and he was heard because of his devotion. 8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience through the things he suffered.[d] 9 And by being perfected in this way, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him, 10 and he was designated[e] by God as high priest in the order of Melchizedek.[f]Read full chapter
- Hebrews 5:7 tn Grk “in the days of his flesh.”
- Hebrews 5:7 tn Grk “he”; the referent (Christ) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Hebrews 5:7 tn Grk “who…having offered,” continuing the description of Christ from Heb 5:5-6.
- Hebrews 5:8 sn There is a wordplay in the Greek text between the verbs “learned” (ἔμαθεν, emathen) and “suffered” (ἔπαθεν, epathen).
- Hebrews 5:10 tn Grk “having been designated,” continuing the thought of Heb 5:9.
- Hebrews 5:10 sn The phrase in the order of Melchizedek picks up the quotation from Ps 110:4 in Heb 5:6.