A song of David.
23 The Lord is my shepherd.
I will always have everything I need.[a]
2 He gives me green pastures to lie in.
He leads me by calm pools of water.
3 He restores my strength.
He leads me on right paths[b] to show that he is good.
4 Even if I walk through a valley as dark as the grave,[c]
I will not be afraid of any danger, because you are with me.
Your rod and staff[d] comfort me.
5 You prepared a meal for me in front of my enemies.
You welcomed me as an honored guest.[e]
My cup is full and spilling over.
6 Your goodness and mercy will be with me all my life,
and I will live in the Lord’s house[f] a long, long time.[g]
- Psalm 23:1 I will … need Literally, “I will lack nothing.”
- Psalm 23:3 right paths Or “paths of goodness.”
- Psalm 23:4 valley … grave Or “death’s dark valley” or “a very dark valley.”
- Psalm 23:4 rod and staff The club and walking stick a shepherd uses to protect and guide his sheep.
- Psalm 23:5 You welcomed … guest Literally, “You anointed my head with oil.”
- Psalm 23:6 house Or “Temple.” See “Temple” in the Word List.
- Psalm 23:6 I … long time Or “I will return again and again to the Lord’s Temple for as long as I live.”