New English Translation
Paul Before the Sanhedrin
30 The next day, because the commanding officer[a] wanted to know the true reason[b] Paul[c] was being accused by the Jews, he released him and ordered the chief priests and the whole council[d] to assemble. He then brought[e] Paul down and had him stand before them.Read full chapter
- Acts 22:30 tn Grk “he”; the referent (the commanding officer) has been supplied here in the translation for clarity.
- Acts 22:30 tn Grk “the certainty, why.” BDAG 147 s.v. ἀσφαλής 2 has “τὸ ἀ. the certainty = the truth (in ref. to ferreting out the facts…ἵνα τὸ ἀ. ἐπιγνῶ) γνῶναι 21:34; 22:30.”
- Acts 22:30 tn Grk “he”; the referent (Paul) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Acts 22:30 tn Grk “the whole Sanhedrin” (the Sanhedrin was the highest legal, legislative, and judicial body among the Jews).
- Acts 22:30 tn Grk “and bringing.” The participle καταγαγών (katagagōn) has been translated as a finite verb due to requirements of contemporary English style. Because of the length and complexity of the Greek sentence, a new sentence was begun in the translation, and καί (kai) has been translated as “then” to clarify the logical sequence.