1 Chronicles 29:1-9
New International Version
Gifts for Building the Temple
29 Then King David said to the whole assembly: “My son Solomon, the one whom God has chosen, is young and inexperienced.(A) The task is great, because this palatial structure is not for man but for the Lord God. 2 With all my resources I have provided for the temple of my God—gold(B) for the gold work, silver for the silver, bronze for the bronze, iron for the iron and wood for the wood, as well as onyx for the settings, turquoise,[a](C) stones of various colors, and all kinds of fine stone and marble—all of these in large quantities.(D) 3 Besides, in my devotion to the temple of my God I now give my personal treasures of gold and silver for the temple of my God, over and above everything I have provided(E) for this holy temple: 4 three thousand talents[b] of gold (gold of Ophir)(F) and seven thousand talents[c] of refined silver,(G) for the overlaying of the walls of the buildings, 5 for the gold work and the silver work, and for all the work to be done by the craftsmen. Now, who is willing to consecrate themselves to the Lord today?”
6 Then the leaders of families, the officers of the tribes of Israel, the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds, and the officials(H) in charge of the king’s work gave willingly.(I) 7 They(J) gave toward the work on the temple of God five thousand talents[d] and ten thousand darics[e] of gold, ten thousand talents[f] of silver, eighteen thousand talents[g] of bronze and a hundred thousand talents[h] of iron. 8 Anyone who had precious stones(K) gave them to the treasury of the temple of the Lord in the custody of Jehiel the Gershonite.(L) 9 The people rejoiced at the willing response of their leaders, for they had given freely and wholeheartedly(M) to the Lord. David the king also rejoiced greatly.
- 1 Chronicles 29:2 The meaning of the Hebrew for this word is uncertain.
- 1 Chronicles 29:4 That is, about 110 tons or about 100 metric tons
- 1 Chronicles 29:4 That is, about 260 tons or about 235 metric tons
- 1 Chronicles 29:7 That is, about 190 tons or about 170 metric tons
- 1 Chronicles 29:7 That is, about 185 pounds or about 84 kilograms
- 1 Chronicles 29:7 That is, about 380 tons or about 340 metric tons
- 1 Chronicles 29:7 That is, about 675 tons or about 610 metric tons
- 1 Chronicles 29:7 That is, about 3,800 tons or about 3,400 metric tons