3:15those of us who are mature. These words may be a tribute to persons who in fact think and live maturely. Another possibility is that here Paul is speaking ironically to people who consider themselves already “perfect” (v. 12), and whose thinking Paul needs to correct.
think this way. This refers to the teaching of vv. 12–14.
if . . . you think otherwise. These words may reinforce the preceding appeal to agree with Paul, but the repeated phrases (“think this way . . . think”) recall 2:1–5 and suggest that the apostle is also concerned that the Philippians agree among themselves.
God will reveal. Whether spiritual discernment and understanding or agreement among believers is in view, the grace of God is necessary (1:9–11). In the meantime, believers’ conduct should accord with the degree of insight which God has already granted (v. 16).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.