19:45, 46 All four Gospels speak of Jesus driving traders out of the temple precincts, but the first three place it at the end of Jesus’ ministry and John at the beginning. There were probably two cleansings (Mark 11:15 note). The merchants in the temple courts were money-changers and sellers of sacrificial animals. Only coins from Tyre were accepted in the temple, and money had to be changed before an offering could be made. It was convenient to have them close to the temple, but their presence in the temple courts themselves made true worship difficult. The traders would have been in the court of the Gentiles, the only place Gentiles could go to pray.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Now that you've created a Bible Gateway account, upgrade to Bible Gateway Plus, the ultimate online Bible reading & study experience! For just a few dollars each month, Bible Gateway Plus gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.