7:4adulterers. They left the Lord, to whom they were allied in the covenant, and joined themselves with other gods and other foreign allies (2:4; 4:12–14; Jer. 9:2; 23:10–14). See Introduction: Characteristics and Themes.
like a heated oven. The figures of an oven, a baker, and fire present a graphic word picture of the self-propagating passion, treachery, and wickedness that infested the political life of Israel during its last days and led to the series of violent assassinations of its kings (2 Kin. 15:8–30). The assassination of Pekah by Hoshea (2 Kin. 15:30) may be the occasion of the remarks in vv. 4–7.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.