49:10scepter shall not depart. A prophecy further elaborated and confirmed by the Davidic covenant (2 Sam. 7:16).
until tribute comes to him. Lit. “Until Shiloh comes.” The precise meaning of this phrase is debated. Some understand “Shiloh” as a place-name (“until Judah’s leadership comes to Shiloh,” cf. Josh. 18:1) or as a reference to tribute (“until tribute is brought to Judah”). Others see this as a reference to a coming Judahite ruler: “until he comes to whom it belongs” (cf. Ezek. 21:27) or “until Shiloh [possibly a messianic term] comes.” The subsequent mention of dominion over “people” (or “peoples,” the Hebrew noun is plural) points to the final realization of this prophecy in the universal messianic reign of Christ (1 Cor. 15:24–28; Rev. 5:5). God’s plan for mankind to rule and have dominion (1:26–28) is concentrated in Him.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.