7:1Now after this. About sixty years passed between the events at the end of ch. 6 and those at the beginning of ch. 7. The only information we have on this period from Ezra and Nehemiah concerns opposition in the days of Ahasuerus (4:6 note)—the events in the Book of Esther occurred during this period (Esth. 1:1).
Artaxerxes. Artaxerxes I, king of Persia from 465–424 b.c.
Ezra. The lengthy introduction of Ezra (vv. 1–10) signals his importance for what follows. The first information given about Ezra is his ancestry. The genealogy is full but not complete; the phrase “son of” is often used to mean “descendant.” Ezra’s line goes back to Aaron, establishing his priestly authority for his subsequent actions.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.