7:13with the clouds of heaven. Elsewhere in the Old Testament it is only God who comes on the clouds (Ps. 104:3; Is. 19:1). Accordingly, the “son of man” originates in heaven and comes by divine initiative.
one like a son of man. The Aramaic for “son of man” would otherwise mean “a human being” as opposed to the preceding “beasts.” The equivalent is used for Daniel in 8:17 and many times for Daniel’s contemporary, Ezekiel (e.g., Ezek. 2:1, 3, 6). But, in contrast to the “beasts” who misruled the earth, this One will rule as God intended before humanity’s fall (Gen. 1:26–28; Ps. 8:4–6). The expression “son of man” is used sixty-nine times in the synoptic Gospels and twelve times in the Gospel of John to refer to Christ. It is the title Jesus most often used of Himself.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Now that you've created a Bible Gateway account, upgrade to Bible Gateway Plus, the ultimate online Bible reading & study experience! For just a few dollars each month, Bible Gateway Plus gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.