3:12hastening the coming. Though sometimes translated “eagerly awaiting,” the Greek word usually means “hasten.” The time of Christ’s coming is determined by the sovereign counsel of God, but it does not take place without reference to other events (these too are ordained by God). That God’s delay is merciful (v. 9 and note) indicates that the evangelization of the elect is one relevant factor (Mark 13:10). Other factors include prayer (Luke 11:2) and obedience (v. 11). Such a teaching should profoundly encourage Christians. Our actions do matter.
the day of God. An unusual expression (Rev. 16:14), equivalent to “the day of the Lord” (v. 10). The use of the phrases “day of the Lord” and “day of God” for Christ’s Second Coming indicates Peter’s high Christology: the coming One is none other than God Himself.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.