11:14Jeroboam . . . cast them out. The historian does not repeat the account found in 1 Kings about how Jeroboam established idolatrous worship centers at Dan and Bethel (1 Kin. 12:25–33), but he assumes that the reader knows it. Jeroboam rejected priests and Levites who were faithful to Jerusalem as the proper site for worship. Jeroboam’s animosity drove these priests to Rehoboam. The theme of faithful Israelites defecting to Judah appears several times in the periods of the divided and reunited kingdoms (13:8–11; 15:9; 30:10–12). Following the return of the remnant from exile in Babylonia, these accounts were a precedent for Israelites from the northern kingdom, since the restoration was centered in Jerusalem (1 Chr. 9:3 note; see Introduction: The Divided Kingdom).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.