1:5who by God’s power are being guarded through faith. This verse stresses both the priority of divine grace and the importance of the human action that results from grace. Faith is the gift of God, but believers are still responsible for exercising that faith, or steadfast trust, in spiritual battle (5:8, 9; Eph. 6:16; Phil. 2:12, 13). The strength of God’s protection is conveyed by means of a military term, here translated “guarded,” signifying vigilant defense of a fortress.
salvation. Here the word means complete and final future deliverance from sin and full enjoyment of eternal glory (v. 9; 4:13, 14; 5:1, 4).
the last time. Christ’s return and the final manifestation of His power and glory.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Now that you've created a Bible Gateway account, upgrade to Bible Gateway Plus, the ultimate online Bible reading & study experience! For just a few dollars each month, Bible Gateway Plus gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.