6:9the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God. See “Antinomianism” at 1 John 3:7. That the things of this world are incompatible with the kingdom of God is a recurring principle in Scripture (15:50; Gal. 5:21). The question arises whether anyone at all can be saved, since all are wicked. Paul’s answer is twofold: on the one hand, God delights in justifying the wicked (Rom. 4:5); on the other hand, those whom God justifies (declares righteous because of Christ’s death) He also sanctifies (leads into a holy way of life; Rom. 6:1–4). Paul is confident that the Corinthians are true believers, justified and sanctified (v. 11 note), and that their present misbehavior is an anomaly that can be corrected. But it must be corrected. Persistence in wickedness would be an indication that their faith is false and that they have no place in the kingdom.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.