2:7 asecret and hidden wisdom of God. This passage should not be interpreted as a reference to mysteries accessible only to superior Christians. The riches of the gospel, though “hidden” during the Old Testament period, have now been revealed by the Spirit (v. 10). Eph. 3:2–6 makes plain that the word “mystery,” used by Paul to emphasize the distinctiveness of his message to the Gentiles, has a strong temporal meaning. The “mystery” is a truth that “was not made known . . . in other generations” (Eph. 3:5); it was “kept secret for long ages” (Rom. 16:25). But now the truth has been clearly revealed to those who have the Spirit, who live in “the end of the ages” (10:11).
decreed. The word is used also in Rom. 8:29, 30 and Eph. 1:5 to express the certainty of God’s goodwill for His people.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Now that you've created a Bible Gateway account, upgrade to Bible Gateway Plus, the ultimate online Bible reading & study experience! For just a few dollars each month, Bible Gateway Plus gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.