13:8Love never ends. One could view this statement as a summary of the previous verse, especially in the light of the comment that love “bears all things.” At the same time, the statement allows Paul to build a contrast between love, which always remains (v. 13), and the spiritual gifts, which will cease.
prophecies . . . tongues . . . knowledge. It is likely that Paul mentions these three items as representative of all the spiritual gifts, which have a temporary, earthly function until the end of the age. Others suggest that Paul mentions these three in particular because they have a revelatory function that came to an end with the completion of the New Testament canon (v. 10 note).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.