When we hear of sudden storms on lake or ocean wreaking havoc on recreational sailors, we are reminded that "even today the sea represents a place of peril, of human vulnerability, the place where would-be sailors are at the mercy of the elements" (Willimon 1988:183). This first-century account of a sea voyage pits the death-dealing opposition of the storm (27:14-20, 27-32, 39-44) against God's gracious providence surrounding and working through wise, courageous, encouraging, nurturing Paul (27:21-26, 33-38). As that gracious providence prevails for Paul and all 275 with him, we who are Christians may ask, "Am I the same source of preservation for those around me?"
IVP New Testament Commentaries are made available by the generosity of InterVarsity Press.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.