Corinth is distinguished, both in this letter and in 1 Corinthians, with the unique address to the church of God. The singular church, in contrast to the more commonly found all and saints, focuses attention on the unity of believers in the Corinthian locality. Of God emphasizes divine ownership—an ownership that differentiates the church from a culture and society that were centered on idolatry (see the introduction).
It was common in Paul's day to include others beyond the immediate readers as independent witnesses of a letter's content and reception—somewhat like the function of our notary today. In the case of 2 Corinthians, all the saints throughout Achaia are called on to verify Paul's claim of apostleship—a claim that has been challenged from both inside and outside the Corinthian church and which, as we will see, Paul is at pains to defend throughout the letter.
IVP New Testament Commentaries are made available by the generosity of InterVarsity Press.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Now that you've created a Bible Gateway account, upgrade to Bible Gateway Plus, the ultimate online Bible reading & study experience! For just a few dollars each month, Bible Gateway Plus gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.