The questions cut like a knife. "Why did you ever listen to such a crazy man? How could you believe such nonsense?" The talk-show host badgered the former members of the Branch Davidian cult with piercing questions after David Koresh and his followers destroyed themselves by fire in Waco, Texas.
Paul's questions in Galatians also cut like a knife. Having concluded his autobiography, Paul addresses his readers directly with a series of piercing questions. These questions are asked in a tone of rebuke and thus continue the rebuke section of the letter. Paul rebukes the Galatians for their foolishness. Their defection from the gospel was caused by their foolish confusion of gospel and law. Paul's rebuke for their foolish exchange of faith in the gospel for works of the law is then enforced by an exposition of Scripture (3:6—4:7) to clarify the relationship of the gospel and the law. After his exposition of Scripture, Paul turns to the Galatians and again rebukes them with questions (4:8-11).
My exposition of this passage will follow the flow of Paul's thought:
* understanding the presence of the Spirit (3:1-5)
* recognizing the children of Abraham (3:6-9)
* facing the alternatives of curse and blessing (3:10-14)
* understanding the promise (3:15-18)
* understanding the law (3:19-25)
* identifying the recipients of the promise (3:26-29)
* moving from slavery to freedom (4:1-7)
* returning to slavery again? (4:8-11)
IVP New Testament Commentaries are made available by the generosity of InterVarsity Press.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.