ZEBADIAHzĕb’ ə dī ə (זְבַדְיָ֨הוּ׃֙, or זְבַדְיָ֥ה, meaning Yah(weh) has bestowed. Both forms appear several times in the OT). 1. A Levite of the family of Korah (1 Chron 26:2), one of the gatekeepers for the future temple (זְבַדְיָ֨הוּ׃֙).
2. A Levite, one of nine sent by King Jehoshaphat to teach the law in the cities of Judah (2 Chron 17:8, זְבַדְיָ֡הוּ). There were sixteen teachers in all, five princes, nine Levites and two priests (2 Chron 17:7-9).
3. A “governor of the house of Judah, in all the king’s affairs” (2 Chron 19:11זְבַדְיָ֨הוּ), son of Ishmael, a kind of judge in civil cases whose task it was to decide disputed cases (2 Chron 19:8). See[http://biblegateway/wiki/Law in the Old Testament LAW], Judge, [http://biblegateway/wiki/Courts, Judicial COURT OF LAW].
4. A Benjaminite descended from Beriah (1 Chron 8:15זְבַדְיָ֥ה).
5. A Benjaminite descended from Elpael (1 Chron 8:17זְבַדְיָ֥ה).
6. One of two sons of Jeroham of Gedor of the tribe of Benjamin who joined David at Ziklag (q.v.) (1 Chron 12:7זְבַדְיָ֛ה).
7. One of David’s army officers, son of Asahel and brother of Joab who had charge of one of the twelve units of his army, each responsible for a month’s military duty (1 Chron 27:7זְבַדְיָ֥ה).
8. One of those who returned from the Exile in Babylon (q.v.) to Jerusalem with Ezra (Ezra 8:8זְבַדְיָ֖ה cf. Zaraiah in 1 Esd 8:34).
9. One of those who married foreign wives in the days of Ezra, listed among the priests (Ezra 10:20זְבַדְיָֽה). With many others he was compelled to put away his foreign wife and her children at the time of Ezra’s reform (cf. 1 Esd 9:21 Zebadiah).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
For the best Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading to Bible Gateway Plus. Bible Gateway Plus equips you to have in-depth biblical discussions with your friends, your family, and your peers. Try it free for 30 days!