Although Jesus Christ initially preached to Israel, his mission was soon extended to the Gentiles. From the outset, the Christian church accepted Gentiles as full members, refusing to make any distinction between Jew and Gentile. Paul, “the apostle to the Gentiles”, laid particular emphasis on their role in the purposes of God.
Jesus Christ’s instructions to his disciples concerning GentilesSee alsoMt 10:5-6 Initially the disciples were commanded to preach to Jews, but after his resurrection, Jesus Christ commissioned them to preach the message of the kingdom of God to all nations. Mt 28:19-20See alsoMk 16:15-16; Lk 24:46-47
Dictionary of Bible Themes Scripture index copyright Martin H. Manser, 2009. As Editor, Martin Manser wishes to thank all those who compiled or edited the NIV Thematic Study Bible, on which this work is based.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Now that you've created a Bible Gateway account, upgrade to Bible Gateway Plus, the ultimate online Bible reading & study experience! For just a few dollars each month, Bible Gateway Plus gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.