The disciples proved inept, but the opposition was quite competent. After Judas handed Jesus over to the leaders of Jerusalem's aristocracy, they quickly came to their expected conclusion and sent him off to the Roman governor for execution; before evening he was dead. If we did not know the end of the story, would we have had any confidence at this point that God was executing his own purposes? But like the first disciples, we should have: by this point in the Gospel, both they and we have seen who Jesus is. Is any opposition severe enough to make us doubt that in the end God really has everything under control though we do not? The disciples doubted, but they should have known better.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.