John's Preaching and Jesus' Qualifications for Ministry
A good hunt dog is special, able to sniff out a quarry's location. A good hunt dog can point the way to the goal and indicate where we should be headed. John the Baptist was rather like that. He could point the way for those who wanted to know where God's plan was going. He was "the one who goes before," while Jesus is the stronger One to come.
The second section of Luke sets the scene for Jesus' ministry. After overviewing the ministry of John the Baptist, including a unique summary of his preaching and the reaction to it in 3:1-20, Luke goes on to detail Jesus' baptism, genealogy and temptations. These elements indicate a divine endorsement of Jesus, as well as presenting his moral and historical credentials to be the representative not only of the nation of Israel but also of all people as Son of Adam, Son of God.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.