New American Standard Bible
The Genealogy of Jesus the Messiah
2 Abraham fathered Isaac, Isaac fathered Jacob, and Jacob fathered [d]Judah and his brothers. 3 Judah fathered Perez and Zerah by Tamar, (C)Perez fathered Hezron, and Hezron fathered [e]Ram. 4 Ram fathered Amminadab, Amminadab fathered Nahshon, and Nahshon fathered Salmon. 5 Salmon fathered Boaz by Rahab, Boaz fathered Obed by Ruth, and Obed fathered Jesse. 6 Jesse fathered David the king.
David (D)fathered Solomon by [f]her who had been the wife of Uriah. 7 Solomon (E)fathered Rehoboam, Rehoboam fathered Abijah, and Abijah fathered [g]Asa. 8 Asa fathered Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat fathered [h]Joram, and Joram fathered Uzziah. 9 Uzziah fathered [i]Jotham, Jotham fathered Ahaz, and Ahaz fathered Hezekiah. 10 Hezekiah fathered Manasseh, Manasseh fathered [j]Amon, and Amon (F)fathered Josiah. 11 Josiah fathered [k]Jeconiah and his brothers, at the time of the (G)deportation to Babylon.
12 After the (H)deportation to Babylon: Jeconiah fathered [l]Shealtiel, and Shealtiel fathered Zerubbabel. 13 Zerubbabel fathered [m]Abihud, Abihud fathered Eliakim, and Eliakim fathered Azor. 14 Azor fathered Zadok, Zadok fathered Achim, and Achim fathered Eliud. 15 Eliud fathered Eleazar, Eleazar fathered Matthan, and Matthan fathered Jacob. 16 Jacob fathered Joseph the husband of Mary, by whom Jesus was born, (I)who is called the [n]Messiah.
17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; from David to the (J)deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the (K)deportation to Babylon to the [o]Messiah, fourteen generations.Read full chapter
- Matthew 1:1 Lit book
- Matthew 1:1 In Heb Yeshua (Joshua), meaning The Lord is salvation
- Matthew 1:1 From Gr Christos, which means Messiah (Heb for Anointed One)
- Matthew 1:2 Gr Judas; a name of a person in the Old Testament is given in its Old Testament form
- Matthew 1:3 Gr Aram
- Matthew 1:6 I.e., Bathsheba
- Matthew 1:7 Gr Asaph
- Matthew 1:8 Also Gr for Jehoram in 2 Kin 8:16; cf. 1 Chr 3:11
- Matthew 1:9 Gr Joatham
- Matthew 1:10 Gr Amos
- Matthew 1:11 Jehoiachin in 2 Kin 24:15
- Matthew 1:12 Gr Salathiel
- Matthew 1:13 Gr Abioud, usually spelled Abiud
- Matthew 1:16 From Gr Christos, which means Messiah (Heb for Anointed One)
- Matthew 1:17 See note v 16