9 “Pray, then, [a]in this way:
‘Our Father, who is in heaven,
[b]Hallowed be Your name.(A)
‘[c]Your kingdom come,
Your [d]will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
‘Give us this day our [e]daily bread.
‘And forgive us our [f]debts, as we have forgiven our debtors [letting go of both the wrong and the resentment].
‘And do not [g]lead us into temptation, but deliver us from [h]evil. [i][For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]’(B)
- Matthew 6:9 I.e. as a model or pattern.
- Matthew 6:9 I.e. set apart, keep and treat as holy, revere.
- Matthew 6:10 A plea for God’s kingdom to be inaugurated on earth.
- Matthew 6:10 Including what God wishes to be done by the individual believer—His commands and precepts.
- Matthew 6:11 I.e. life’s essentials.
- Matthew 6:12 I.e. sins, moral failures.
- Matthew 6:13 I.e. lead us away from situations where we are vulnerable and have the opportunity to sin. God does not tempt man (see James 1:13) but does allow man to be tested.
- Matthew 6:13 Or the evil one.
- Matthew 6:13 This clause is not found in early mss.