1599 Geneva Bible
13 And I will bring upon that land all my words which I have pronounced against it, even all that is written in this book, which Jeremiah hath prophesied against all nations.
14 For many nations, and great kings shall even [a]serve themselves of them: thus will I recompense them according to their deeds, and according to the works of their own hands.
15 For thus hath the Lord God of Israel spoken unto me, [b]Take the cup of wine of this mine indignation at mine hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it.
16 And they shall drink, and be moved, and be mad, because of the sword that I will send among them.
17 Then took I the cup at the Lord’s hand, and made all people to drink, unto whom the Lord had sent me:
18 Even Jerusalem, and the cities of Judah, and the kings thereof, and the princes thereof, to make them desolate, an astonishment, an hissing, and a curse, [c]as appeareth this day:
19 Pharaoh also, King of Egypt, and his servants, and his princes, and all his people:
21 [f]Edom, and Moab, and the Ammonites,
22 And all the Kings of Tyre, and all the kings of Sidon, and the kings of the [g]Isles, that are beyond the sea,
23 And [h]Dedan, and Tema, and Buz, and all that dwell in the uttermost corners,
24 And all the kings of Arabia, and all the kings of Arabia that dwell in the [i]desert,
25 And all the kings of Zimri, and all the kings of [j]Elam, and all the kings of the Medes,
26 And all the kings of the North, far and near one to another, and all the kingdoms of the world, which are upon the earth, and the king of [k]Sheshach shall drink after them.
27 Therefore say thou unto them, Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, Drink and be drunken, and spew and fall, and rise no more, because of the sword, which I will send among you.
28 ¶ But if they refuse to take the cup at thine hand to drink, then tell them, Thus saith the Lord of hosts, Ye shall certainly drink.
29 For lo, [l]I begin to plague the city, where my Name is called upon, and should you go free? Ye shall not go acquited: for I will call for a sword upon all the inhabitants of the earth, saith the Lord of hosts.Read full chapter
- Jeremiah 25:14 That is, of the Babylonians, as Jer. 27:7.
- Jeremiah 25:15 Signifying, the extreme affliction, that God had appointed for everyone, as Ps. 75:8; Isa. 51:17, and this cup, which the wicked drink, is more bitter than that which he giveth to his children, for he measureth the one by mercy, and the other by justice.
- Jeremiah 25:18 For now it beginneth and shall so continue till it be accomplished.
- Jeremiah 25:20 Read Job 1:1.
- Jeremiah 25:20 Which were cities of the Philistines.
- Jeremiah 25:21 Edom is here taken for the whole country, and Uz for a part thereof.
- Jeremiah 25:22 As Greece, Italy and the rest of those countries.
- Jeremiah 25:23 These were people of Arabia which came of Dedan the son of Abraham and Keturah.
- Jeremiah 25:24 For there were two countries so named, the one called plentiful, and the other barren, or desert.
- Jeremiah 25:25 Or, Persia.
- Jeremiah 25:26 That is, of Babylon, as Jer. 51:41.
- Jeremiah 25:29 That is, Jerusalem, read verse 12.