Song of Solomon 8
American Standard Version
8 Oh that thou wert as my brother,
That sucked the breasts of my mother!
When I should find thee without, I would kiss thee;
Yea, and none would despise me.
2 I would lead thee, and bring thee into my mother’s house,
[a]Who would instruct me;
I would cause thee to drink of spiced wine,
Of the [b]juice of my pomegranate.
3 His left hand should be under my head,
And his right hand should embrace me.
5 Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness,
Leaning upon her beloved?
Under the apple-tree I awakened thee:
There thy mother was in travail with thee,
There was she in travail [e]that brought thee forth.
6 Set me as a seal upon thy heart,
As a seal upon thine arm:
For love is strong as death;
Jealousy is [f]cruel as Sheol;
The flashes thereof are flashes of fire,
[g]A very flame of [h]Jehovah.
7 Many waters cannot quench love,
Neither can floods drown it:
If a man would give all the substance of his house for love,
[i]He would utterly be contemned.
8 We have a little sister,
And she hath no breasts:
What shall we do for our sister
In the day when she shall be spoken for?
9 If she be a wall,
We will build upon her [j]a turret of silver:
And if she be a door,
We will inclose her with boards of cedar.
10 I [k]am a wall, and my breasts like the towers thereof
Then was I in his eyes as one that found peace.
11 Solomon had a vineyard at Baal-hamon;
He let out the vineyard unto keepers;
Every one for the fruit thereof was to bring a thousand pieces of silver.
12 My vineyard, which is mine, is before me:
Thou, O Solomon, shalt have the thousand,
And those that keep the fruit thereof two hundred.
13 Thou that dwellest in the gardens,
The companions hearken [l]for thy voice:
Cause me to hear it.
- Song of Solomon 8:2 Or, That thou mightest
- Song of Solomon 8:2 Or, sweet wine
- Song of Solomon 8:4 Hebrew Why should ye stir up? or why etc.
- Song of Solomon 8:4 Or, it. Or, she
- Song of Solomon 8:5 Or, and
- Song of Solomon 8:6 Hebrew hard.
- Song of Solomon 8:6 Or, A most vehement flame
- Song of Solomon 8:6 Hebrew Jah.
- Song of Solomon 8:7 Or, It
- Song of Solomon 8:9 Or, battlements
- Song of Solomon 8:10 Or, was
- Song of Solomon 8:13 Or, to
- Song of Solomon 8:14 Hebrew Flee.
- Song of Solomon 8:14 Or, gazelle