Holman Christian Standard Bible
Paul’s Commendation of Phoebe
16 I commend to you(A) our sister Phoebe, who is a servant[a] of the church in Cenchreae.(B) 2 So you should welcome her in the Lord(C) in a manner worthy of the saints and assist her in whatever matter she may require your help. For indeed she has been a benefactor of many—and of me also.
Greeting to Roman Christians
3 Give my greetings to Prisca[b] and Aquila,(D) my coworkers in(E) Christ Jesus,(F) 4 who risked their own necks for my life. Not only do I thank them, but so do all the Gentile churches.
5 Greet also the church that meets in their home.(G)
Greet my dear friend Epaenetus, who is the first convert[c](H) to Christ from Asia.[d](I)
6 Greet Mary,[e] who has worked very hard for you.[f]
7 Greet Andronicus and Junia,[g] my fellow countrymen(J) and fellow prisoners.(K) They are noteworthy in the eyes of the apostles,[h][i] and they were also in Christ before me.
8 Greet Ampliatus, my dear friend in the Lord.
9 Greet Urbanus, our coworker in Christ, and my dear friend Stachys.
10 Greet Apelles, who is approved in Christ.
Greet those who belong to the household of Aristobulus.(L)
11 Greet Herodion, my fellow countryman.
Greet those who belong to the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord.
12 Greet Tryphaena and Tryphosa, who have worked hard in the Lord.
Greet my dear friend Persis, who has worked very hard in the Lord.
13 Greet Rufus,(M) chosen in the Lord; also his mother—and mine.
14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, and the brothers who are with them.
15 Greet Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them.(N)
16 Greet one another with a holy kiss.(O)
All the churches of Christ send you greetings.
Warning against Divisive People
17 Now I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause dissensions and obstacles contrary to the doctrine you have learned.(P) Avoid them,(Q) 18 for such people do not serve our Lord Christ(R) but their own appetites.[j](S) They deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting with smooth talk and flattering words.(T)
Paul’s Gracious Conclusion
19 The report of your obedience has reached everyone.(U) Therefore I rejoice over you. But I want you to be wise about what is good, yet innocent about what is evil.(V) 20 The God of peace(W) will soon crush Satan(X) under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.(Y)
[24 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.][l]
Glory to God
25 Now to Him who has power to strengthen you(AG) according to my gospel and the proclamation about Jesus Christ,(AH) according to the revelation of the mystery kept silent(AI) for long ages(AJ) 26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic Scriptures,(AK) according to the command of the eternal God to advance the obedience of faith[m](AL) among all nations— 27 to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ—to Him be the glory forever![n](AM) Amen.
- Romans 16:1 Others interpret this term in a technical sense: deacon, or deaconess, or minister, or courier
- Romans 16:3 Traditionally, Priscilla, as in Ac 18:2,18,26
- Romans 16:5 Lit the firstfruits
- Romans 16:5 Other mss read Achaia
- Romans 16:6 Or Maria
- Romans 16:6 Other mss read us
- Romans 16:7 Either a feminine name or “Junias,” a masculine name
- Romans 16:7 Or are outstanding among
- Romans 16:7 “The apostles” is not always a technical term referring to the 12; cp. 2Co 8:23; Php 2:25 where this word is translated as “messenger.”
- Romans 16:18 Lit belly
- Romans 16:22 Or letter in the Lord, greet you
- Romans 16:24 Other mss omit bracketed text; cp. v. 20
- Romans 16:26 Or the obedience that is faith, or the faithful obedience, or the obedience that comes from faith; Rm 1:5
- Romans 16:27 Other mss have these vv. at the end of chap 14 or 15.