New English Translation
The Condemnation of the Jew
17 But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law[a] and boast of your relationship to God[b] 18 and know his will[c] and approve the superior things because you receive instruction from the law,[d] 19 and if you are convinced[e] that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20 an educator of the senseless, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the essential features of knowledge and of the truth—Read full chapter
- Romans 2:17 sn The law refers to the Mosaic law, described mainly in the OT books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
- Romans 2:17 tn Grk “boast in God.” This may be an allusion to Jer 9:24.
- Romans 2:18 tn Grk “the will.”
- Romans 2:18 tn Grk “because of being instructed out of the law.”
- Romans 2:19 tn This verb is parallel to the verbs in vv. 17-18a, so it shares the conditional meaning even though the word “if” is not repeated.