Disciples’ Literal New Testament
3 And he carried me away in the Spirit[a] to a wilderness. And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast being-full-of names of [b] blasphemy having seven heads and ten horns. 4 And the woman had been clothed-with[c] purple and scarlet, and gilded with gold, and with precious stone and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand being-full of abominations[d] and[e] the impure things of her sexual-immorality, 5 and a name having been written upon her forehead, a mystery[f]: “Babylon the Great, the mother of the prostitutes and of the abominations of the earth”. 6 And I saw the woman being-drunk from the blood of the saints, and[g] from the blood of the witnesses of Jesus.
The Angel Explains The Mystery of The Great Prostitute And The Beast
And having seen her, I wondered with great wonder. 7 And the angel said to me, “For what reason do you wonder? I will tell you the mystery of the woman, and of the beast carrying her— the one having the seven heads and the ten horns. 8 The beast which you saw was and is not and is going to come-up out of the abyss. And he goes to destruction. And the ones dwelling upon the earth whose name has not been written on the book of life since the foundation of the world will be caused-to-marvel while seeing the beast, because he was and is not and will be present[h]. 9 Here[i] is the mind having wisdom: the seven heads are seven mountains where the woman sits on them, and they are seven kings. 10 The five fell, the one is, the other did not yet come. And when he comes, he must remain a short time. 11 And the beast which was and is not, is himself also an eighth. And he is from[j] the seven. And he goes to destruction. 12 And the ten horns which you saw are ten kings[k] who did not-yet receive a kingdom, but they receive authority as kings with the beast for one hour[l]. 13 These have one purpose, and they give their power and authority to the beast. 14 These will wage-war against the Lamb. And the Lamb[m] will overcome them, because He is Lord of lords and King of kings, and the ones with Him are called ones and chosen ones and faithful ones”. 15 And he says to me, “The waters which you saw where the prostitute sits, are peoples and multitudes and nations and tongues. 16 And the ten horns which you saw, and the beast— these will hate[n] the prostitute and they will make her desolated[o] and naked, and they will eat her flesh, and they will burn her up with fire. 17 For God gave it into their hearts to do His purpose, and to do one purpose, and to give their kingdom to the beast— until the words of God will be finished. 18 And the woman whom you saw is the great city having a kingdom over the kings of the earth”.
Another Angel Says, Babylon The Great Fell, It Fell!
18 After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority. And the earth was illuminated by his glory. 2 And he cried-out with a strong voice, saying “Babylon the great fell, it fell! And it became a dwelling-place of demons, and a prison of every unclean spirit, and a prison of every unclean bird, and a prison of every unclean and hated wild-beast. 3 Because all the nations have drunk from[p] the wine of the passion[q] of her sexual-immorality, and the kings of the earth committed-sexual-immorality with her, and the merchants of the earth became-rich by the power of her luxury”.
A Voice Says, Come Out of Her, My People. Babylon’s Judgment Comes In One Day
4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying “Come out of her, my people, so-that you will not participate in her sins, and so that you will not receive of her plagues, 5 because her sins reached as far as heaven, and God remembered her wrongs. 6 Render[r] to her as indeed she herself rendered, and double[s] the doubles in accordance with her works. Mix double for her in the cup in which she mixed. 7 To the degree she glorified herself and lived-luxuriously[t], to that degree give her torment and mourning. Because she says in her heart that ‘I sit as queen and I am not a widow, and I will never see mourning’, 8 for this reason her plagues will come in one day— death[u] and mourning and famine— and she will be burned-up with fire, because the Lord God, the One having judged her, is strong[v].
The Kings of The Earth Weep
9 “And the kings of the earth having committed-sexual-immorality with her and lived-luxuriously will weep and beat-their-breasts over her when they see the smoke of her burning, 10 while standing at a distance because of the fear of her torment, saying ‘Woe, woe, the great city, Babylon, the strong city— because your judgment came in one hour’.
The Merchants of The Earth Weep
11 “And the merchants of the earth weep and mourn over her because no one buys their cargo[w] anymore— 12 cargo of gold and of silver and of precious stone and of pearls, and of fine-linen and of purple and of silk and of scarlet, and everything made-of-citron wood, and every object made-of-ivory, and every object from very-precious wood and brass and iron and marble, 13 and cinnamon and spice and incense and perfume and frankincense, and wine and olive-oil and fine-flour and wheat and cattle and sheep, and of horses and of carriages, and of bodies[x]— even[y] souls of people. 14 And[z] the fruit of [aa] the desire of your soul departed from you; indeed all the rich things and shining things perished from you, and people will never find them anymore. 15 The merchants of these things, the ones having become-rich from her, will stand at a distance because of the fear of her torment, weeping and mourning, 16 saying ‘Woe, woe, the great city, the one having been clothed-with fine-linen and purple and scarlet, and having been gilded with gold, and with precious stone and pearl— 17 because so much wealth was desolated in one hour!’
All Who Work The Sea Weep
“And every helmsman[ab] and everyone sailing to a place and sailors and all-who work the sea stood at a distance, 18 and were crying-out while seeing the smoke of her burning, saying ‘What city is like the great city?’ 19 And they threw dirt on their heads and were crying-out, weeping and mourning, saying ‘Woe, woe, the great city by which all the ones having ships at sea became-rich because-of her preciousness[ac]— because she was desolated in one hour!’
A Strong Angel Says Babylon Will Never Be Seen Again
21 And one strong angel picked-up a stone like a large millstone and threw it into the sea, saying “In this manner, Babylon the great city will be thrown-down with violence and never found again. 22 And a sound of harpists and musicians and flute-players and trumpeters will never be heard in you again. And every craftsman of every craft will never be found in you again. And a sound of a mill will never be heard in you again. 23 And a light of a lamp will never shine in you again. And a sound of a bridegroom and bride will never be heard in you again. Because your merchants were the princes of the earth. Because all the nations were deceived by your sorcery, 24 and in her the blood of prophets and saints was found, even of all the ones having been slain upon the earth”.
- Revelation 17:3 Or, in spirit. See 1:10.
- Revelation 17:3 That is, characterized by.
- Revelation 17:4 Or, had put-on.
- Revelation 17:4 Or, detestable things, loathsome things. This word is used of things associated with idolatry.
- Revelation 17:4 Or, even.
- Revelation 17:5 Or, forehead: “Mystery Babylon the Great.
- Revelation 17:6 Or, even.
- Revelation 17:8 Or, be here.
- Revelation 17:9 Or, At-this-point.
- Revelation 17:11 That is, one of the seven; or, out-of the seven.
- Revelation 17:12 Note that these ten kings help destroy Babylon (v 16-17) and the ‘kings of the earth’ weep over this (18:9).
- Revelation 17:12 This short period of time ends when the Lamb overcomes them, v 14.
- Revelation 17:14 And the Lamb... faithful ones. Or, And the Lamb and the called and chosen and faithful ones with Him will overcome them, because He is Lord... kings.
- Revelation 17:16 The ten kings will turn against the prostitute.
- Revelation 17:16 That is, render her desolate.
- Revelation 18:3 Some manuscripts say, fallen because-of.
- Revelation 18:3 See 14:8.
- Revelation 18:6 This may be addressed to God’s agents for Babylon’s destruction (17:16-17); or, this may be a prayer to God by the voice in v 4.
- Revelation 18:6 That is, give back to her double for the things she doubled to others.
- Revelation 18:7 Or, lived-sensually.
- Revelation 18:8 Or, pestilence.
- Revelation 18:8 Or, mighty, powerful.
- Revelation 18:11 Or, freight.
- Revelation 18:13 That is, slaves, human livestock.
- Revelation 18:13 Or, bodies, and.
- Revelation 18:14 Here the voice of v 4 addresses Babylon directly.
- Revelation 18:14 That is, sought by.
- Revelation 18:17 That is, pilot of a ship.
- Revelation 18:19 Or, costliness. That is, because of the costly nature of Babylon’s things.
- Revelation 18:20 The voice directly addresses believers again, as in v 4.
- Revelation 18:20 That is, exacted your verdict.