New English Translation
War in Heaven
7 Then[a] war broke out in heaven: Michael[b] and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But[c] the dragon was not strong enough to prevail,[d] so there was no longer any place left[e] in heaven for him and his angels.[f] 9 So[g] that huge dragon—the ancient serpent, the one called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world—was thrown down to the earth, and his angels along with him.Read full chapter
- Revelation 12:7 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “then” to indicate the implied sequence within the narrative.
- Revelation 12:7 sn The archangel Michael had a special role in protecting the nation of Israel in the OT (Dan 10:13, 21; 12:1; see also Jude 9).
- Revelation 12:8 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “but” to indicate the implied contrast.
- Revelation 12:8 tn The words “to prevail” are not in the Greek text, but are implied.
- Revelation 12:8 tn Grk “found.”
- Revelation 12:8 tn Grk “for them”; the referent (the dragon and his angels, v. 7) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Revelation 12:9 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “so” to indicate the result of the war in heaven.