1599 Geneva Bible
99 1 He commendeth the power, equity, and excellency of the kingdom of God by Christ over the Jews and Gentiles, 5 And provoketh them to magnify the same, and to serve the Lord, 6 following the example of the ancient fathers, Moses, Aaron, Samuel, who calling upon God, were heard in their prayers.
2 The Lord is great in Zion, and he is high above all the people.
3 They shall [b]praise thy great and fearful Name (for it is holy.)
4 And the King’s power, that loveth judgment: for thou hast prepared equity: thou hast executed judgment and justice in Jacob.
5 Exalt the Lord our God, and fall down before his [c]footstool: for he is holy.
6 Moses and Aaron were among his Priests, [d]and Samuel among such as call upon his Name: these called upon the Lord, and he heard them.
7 He spake unto them in the cloudy pillar: they kept his testimonies, and the Law that he gave them.
8 Thou heardest them, O Lord our God: thou wast a favorable God unto them, though thou didst take vengeance for [e]their inventions.
9 Exalt the Lord our God and fall down before his holy Mountain: for the Lord our God is holy.
- Psalm 99:1 When God delivereth his Church, all the enemies shall have cause to tremble.
- Psalm 99:3 Though the wicked rage against God, but the godly shall praise his Name and mighty power.
- Psalm 99:5 That is, before his Temple or Ark, where he promised to hear when they worshipped him, as now he promiseth his spiritual presence, whersoever his Church is assembled.
- Psalm 99:6 Under these three he comprehendeth the whole people of Israel, with whom God made his promise.
- Psalm 99:8 For the more liberally that God dealeth with his people, the more doth he punish them that abuse his benefits.