1599 Geneva Bible
97 1 The Prophet exhorteth all to rejoice for the coming of the kingdom of Christ, 7 dreadful to the rebels and idolaters, 8 and joyful to the just, whom he exhorteth to innocency, 12 to rejoicing and thanksgiving.
2 [c]Clouds and darkness are round about him: righteousness and judgment are the foundation of his throne.
3 There shall go a fire before him, and burn up his enemies round about.
4 His lightnings gave light unto the world: the earth saw it and was [d]afraid.
5 The mountains melted like wax at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
6 The heavens declare his righteousness, and all the people see his glory.
8 Zion heard of it, and was glad: and the [g]daughters of Judah rejoiced, because of thy judgments, O Lord.
9 For thou, Lord, art most High above all the earth: thou art much exalted above all gods.
10 Ye that [h]love the Lord, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his Saints: he will deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
11 [i]Light is sown for the righteous, and joy for the upright in heart.
12 Rejoice ye righteous in the Lord, and give thanks for his holy [j]remembrance.
- Psalm 97:1 He showeth that where God reigneth, there is all felicity, and spiritual joy.
- Psalm 97:1 For the Gospel shall not be only preached in Judea, but through all isles and countries.
- Psalm 97:2 He is thus described to keep his enemies in fear, which commonly contemn God’s power.
- Psalm 97:4 This fear bringeth not the wicked to true obedience, but maketh them to run away from God.
- Psalm 97:7 He signifieth that God’s judgments are in a readiness to destroy the idolaters.
- Psalm 97:7 Let all that which is esteemed in the world fall down before him.
- Psalm 97:8 The Jews shall have occasion to rejoice, that the Gentiles are made partakers with them of God’s favor.
- Psalm 97:10 He requireth two things of his children: the one that they detest vice, the other, that they put their trust in God for their deliverance.
- Psalm 97:11 Though God’s deliverance appear not suddenly, yet it is sown and laid up in store for them.
- Psalm 97:12 Be mindful of his benefits and only trust in his defense.