1599 Geneva Bible
91 1 Here is described in what assurance he liveth, that putteth his whole trust in God, and commiteth himself wholly to his protection in all temptations. 14 A promise of God to those that love him, know him, and trust in him to deliver them, and give them immortal glory.
1 Who so dwelleth in the [a]secret of the most High, shall abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 [b]I will say unto the Lord, O my hope, and my fortress: he is my God, in him will I trust.
3 Surely I will deliver thee from the [c]snare of the hunter, and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He will cover thee under his wings, and thou shalt be sure under his feathers: his [d]truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 [e]Thou shalt not be afraid of the fear of the night: nor of the arrow that flieth by day:
6 Nor of the pestilence that walketh in the darkness: nor of the plague that destroyeth at noon day.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand, but it shall not come near thee.
8 Doubtless with thine [f]eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9 For thou hast said, The Lord is mine hope: thou hast set the most High for thy refuge.
10 There shall none evil come unto thee, neither shall any plague come near thy tabernacle.
11 [g]For he shall give his Angels charge over thee to keep thee in all thy ways.
12 They shall bear thee in their hands, that thou hurt not thy foot against a stone.
13 Thou shalt walk upon the lion and asp: the [h]young lion, and the dragon shalt thou tread under feet.
14 [i]Because he hath loved me, therefore will I deliver him: I will exalt him because he hath known my Name.
15 He shall call upon me, and I will hear him: I will be with him in trouble: I will deliver him, and glorify him.
16 With [j]long life will I satisfy him, and show him my salvation.
- Psalm 91:1 He that maketh God his defense and trust, shall perceive his protection to be a most sure safeguard.
- Psalm 91:2 Being assured of this protection, he prayeth unto the Lord.
- Psalm 91:3 That is, God’s help is most ready for us, whether Satan assail us secretly, which he calleth a snare: or openly, which is here meant by the pestilence.
- Psalm 91:4 That is, his faithful keeping of promise to help thee in thy necessity.
- Psalm 91:5 The care that God hath over his, is most sufficient to defend them from all dangers.
- Psalm 91:8 The godly shall have some experience of God’s judgments against the wicked even in this life, but fully they shall see it at that day when all things shall be revealed.
- Psalm 91:11 God hath not appointed every man one Angel, but many to be ministers of his providence to keep his, and defend them in their vocation, which is the way to walk in without tempting God.
- Psalm 91:13 Thou shalt not only be preserved from all evil, but overcome it whether it be secret or open.
- Psalm 91:14 To assure the faithful of God’s protection, he bringeth in God to confirm the same.
- Psalm 91:16 For he is contented with that life that God giveth: for by death the shortness of this life is recompensed with immortality.