New American Standard Bible
Prayer for Defense against Enemies.
For the music director; on stringed instruments. A [a]Maskil of David, [b]when the Ziphites came and said to Saul, “Is David not keeping himself hidden among us?”
54 Save me, God, by (A)Your name,
And [c]vindicate me by (B)Your power.
2 (C)Hear my prayer, God;
(D)Listen to the words of my mouth.
3 For strangers have (E)risen against me
And (F)violent men have (G)sought my [d]life;
They have (H)not set God before them. Selah
- Psalm 54 Title Possibly Contemplative; or Didactic; or Skillful Psalm
- Psalm 54 Title 1 Sam 23:19; 26:1
- Psalm 54:1 Lit judge
- Psalm 54:3 Or soul
- Psalm 54:4 Lit as those who sustain
- Psalm 54:5 LXX; MT The evil will return
- Psalm 54:5 Or Put to silence
- Psalm 54:5 Or truth
- Psalm 54:6 Or With a voluntary offering
- Psalm 54:7 Or it; i.e., His name
- Psalm 54:7 Or distress