New American Standard Bible
The Lord the Psalmist’s Portion in Life and Deliverer in Death.
A [a]Mikhtam of David.
16 (A)Preserve me, O God, for (B)I take refuge in You.
2 [b]I said to the Lord, “You are [c]my Lord;
I (C)have no good besides You.”
3 As for the [d](D)saints who are in the earth,
[e]They are the majestic ones (E)in whom is all my delight.
4 The [f](F)sorrows of those who have [g]bartered for another god will be multiplied;
I shall not pour out their drink offerings of (G)blood,
Nor will I (H)take their names upon my lips.
7 I will bless the Lord who has (N)counseled me;
Indeed, my [h](O)mind instructs me in the night.
8 (P)I have (Q)set the Lord continually before me;
Because He is (R)at my right hand, (S)I will not be shaken.
9 Therefore (T)my heart is glad and (U)my glory rejoices;
My flesh also will (V)dwell securely.
10 For You (W)will not abandon my soul to [i]Sheol;
Nor will You [j](X)allow Your [k]Holy One to [l]undergo decay.
11 You will make known to me (Y)the path of life;
In (Z)Your presence is fullness of joy;
In Your right hand there are (AA)pleasures forever.
- Psalm 16:1 Possibly Epigrammatic Poem or Atonement Psalm
- Psalm 16:2 Or O my soul, you said
- Psalm 16:2 Or the Lord
- Psalm 16:3 Lit holy ones; i.e. the godly
- Psalm 16:3 Lit And the majestic ones...delight
- Psalm 16:4 I.e. sorrows due to idolatry
- Psalm 16:4 Or hastened to
- Psalm 16:7 Lit kidneys, figurative for inner man
- Psalm 16:10 I.e. the nether world
- Psalm 16:10 Lit give
- Psalm 16:10 Or godly one
- Psalm 16:10 Or see corruption or the pit