Lexham English Bible
Yahweh Gives Authority to His Messiah
Of David. A psalm.[a]
110 A declaration of Yahweh to my lord,
“Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies your footstool.”
2 Yahweh will send out your mighty scepter from Zion;
rule in the midst of your enemies.
3 Your people will volunteer[b] in the day of your power.[c]
In holy splendor, from the womb of the dawn,
you will have the dew of your youth.[d]
4 Yahweh has sworn and he will not change his mind,
“You are a priest forever
according to the manner of Melchizedek.”
5 O Lord, at your right hand
he will shatter kings in the day of his anger.
6 He will judge among the nations;
he will fill them with corpses.
He will shatter the rulers[e] of many countries.
7 He will drink from the stream by the road;
therefore he will lift up his head.
- Psalm 110:1 The Hebrew Bible counts the superscription as the first verse of the psalm
- Psalm 110:3 Literally “will be freewill offerings”; see the related verbal form in Judg 5:2
- Psalm 110:3 Or “day of your army,” or “day of battle”
- Psalm 110:3 The meaning of this verse is obscure
- Psalm 110:6 Literally “head”