International Standard Version
To the Director: With stringed instruments. A psalm of Asaph. A song.
The Awesome God
4 You are enveloped by light;
more majestic than mountains filled with game.
5 Brave men were plundered
while they slumbered in their sleep.
All the men of the army were immobilized.
6 At the sound of your battle cry, God of Jacob,
both horse and chariot rider fell into deep sleep.
7 You are awesome!
who can stand in your presence when you’re angry?
8 From heaven you declared judgment.
The earth stands in awe and is quiet
9 when God arose to execute justice
and to deliver all the afflicted of the earth.
10 Even human anger praises you;
you will wear the survivors of your wrath as an ornament.[c]
- Psalm 76:2 I.e. Jerusalem
- Psalm 76:3 The Heb. lacks weapons of
- Psalm 76:10 The Heb. lacks as an ornament
- Psalm 76:11 Or to the one whom they fear
- Psalm 76:12 Lit. the spirit of
- Psalm 76:12 Lit. Nagidim; i.e. senior officers entrusted with dual roles of operational oversight and administrative authority