New English Translation
7 Look up,[a] you gates.
Rise up,[b] you eternal doors.
Then the majestic king[c] will enter.[d]
8 Who is this majestic king?[e]
The Lord who is strong and mighty.
The Lord who is mighty in battle.
9 Look up, you gates.
Rise up, you eternal doors.
Then the majestic king will enter.
- Psalm 24:7 tn Heb “lift up your heads.” The gates of the Lord’s dwelling place are here personified. The idiom “lift up the head” often means “be confident, bold” (see Judg 8:28; Job 10:15; Ps 83:2; Zech 1:21).
- Psalm 24:7 tn Heb “lift yourselves up.”
- Psalm 24:7 tn Or “king of glory.”
- Psalm 24:7 tn Following the imperatives of the preceding lines, the prefixed verbal form with vav (ו) conjunctive indicates purpose or result.
- Psalm 24:8 sn Who is this majestic king? Perhaps the personified gates/doors ask this question, in response to the command given in v. 7.