New English Translation
24 Vindicate me by your justice, O Lord my God.
Do not let them gloat[a] over me.
25 Do not let them say to themselves,[b] “Aha! We have what we wanted!”[c]
Do not let them say, “We have devoured him.”
26 May those who rejoice in my troubles be totally embarrassed and ashamed.[d]
May those who arrogantly taunt me be covered with shame and humiliation.[e]
- Psalm 35:24 tn Heb “rejoice.”
- Psalm 35:25 tn Heb “in their heart[s].”
- Psalm 35:25 tn Heb “Aha! Our desire!” The “desire” of the psalmist’s enemies is to triumph over him.
- Psalm 35:26 tn Heb “may they be embarrassed and ashamed together, the ones who rejoice over my harm.”
- Psalm 35:26 tn Heb “may they be clothed with shame and humiliation, the ones who magnify [themselves] against me.” The prefixed verbal forms in v. 26 are understood as jussives (see vv. 24b-25, where the negative particle אַל (ʾal) appears before the prefixed verbal forms, indicating they are jussives). The psalmist is calling down judgment on his enemies.