Holman Christian Standard Bible
19 Better a poor man who lives with integrity(A)
than someone who has deceitful lips and is a fool.
3 A man’s own foolishness leads him astray,
yet his heart rages against the Lord.(D)
4 Wealth attracts many friends,(E)
but a poor man is separated from his friend.
9 A false witness will not go unpunished,
and one who utters lies perishes.(M)
14 A house and wealth are inherited from fathers,(V)
but a sensible wife is from the Lord.
15 Laziness induces deep sleep,
and a lazy person will go hungry.(W)
19 A person with great anger bears the penalty;
if you rescue him, you’ll have to do it again.(AC)
21 Many plans are in a man’s heart,
but the Lord’s decree will prevail.(AE)
22 What is desirable in a man is his fidelity;
better to be a poor man than a liar.(AF)
24 The slacker buries his hand in the bowl;
he doesn’t even bring it back to his mouth.(AH)
26 The one who assaults his father and evicts his mother
is a disgraceful and shameful son.
27 If you stop listening to correction, my son,
you will stray from the words of knowledge.
28 A worthless witness mocks justice,
and a wicked mouth swallows iniquity.(AK)
29 Judgments are prepared for mockers,
and beatings for the backs of fools.(AL)
- Proverbs 19:2 Lit who is hasty with feet
- Proverbs 19:7 Hb uncertain
- Proverbs 19:8 Lit acquires a heart
- Proverbs 19:16 Or despises, or treats lightly
- Proverbs 19:17 Lit to him
- Proverbs 19:18 Lit don’t lift up your soul to his death
- Proverbs 19:20 Lit in your end
- Proverbs 19:23 Lit will spend the night satisfied