Holman Christian Standard Bible
Amorite Kings Defeated
21 Israel sent messengers to say to Sihon(A) king of the Amorites: 22 “Let us travel through your land. We won’t go into the fields or vineyards. We won’t drink any well water. We will travel the King’s Highway until we have traveled through your territory.”(B) 23 But Sihon would not let Israel travel through his territory. Instead, he gathered his whole army and went out to confront Israel in the wilderness. When he came to Jahaz,(C) he fought against Israel. 24 Israel struck him with the sword and took possession of his land from the Arnon to the Jabbok,(D) but only up to the Ammonite border, because it was fortified.[a][b]
25 Israel took all the cities and lived in all these Amorite cities, including Heshbon and all its villages. 26 Heshbon was the city of Sihon king of the Amorites, who had fought against the former king of Moab and had taken control of all his land as far as the Arnon. 27 Therefore the poets[c] say:
Come to Heshbon, let it be rebuilt;
let the city of Sihon be restored.[d]
28 For fire came out of Heshbon,
a flame from the city of Sihon.
It consumed Ar of Moab,
the lords of[e] Arnon’s heights.
29 Woe to you, Moab!
You have been destroyed, people of Chemosh!(E)
He gave up his sons as refugees,
and his daughters into captivity
to Sihon the Amorite king.
30 We threw them down;
Heshbon has been destroyed as far as Dibon.[f](F)
We caused desolation as far as Nophah,
which reaches as far as Medeba.[g](G)
31 So Israel lived in the Amorites’ land.Read full chapter
- Numbers 21:24 LXX reads was Jazer
- Numbers 21:24 Or was at Az
- Numbers 21:27 Lit ones who speak proverbs
- Numbers 21:27 Or firmly founded
- Numbers 21:28 LXX reads Moab, and swallowed
- Numbers 21:30 LXX reads Their seed will perish from Heshbon; Vg reads Their yoke has perished from Heshbon
- Numbers 21:30 LXX reads Dibon. And their women have further kindled a fire against Moab; Hb uncertain