New English Translation
19 A ruler will be established from Jacob;
he will destroy the remains of the city.’”[a]
Balaam’s Final Prophecies
“Amalek was the first[d] of the nations,
but his end will be that he will perish.”
21 Then he looked on the Kenites and uttered this oracle:
“Your dwelling place seems strong,
and your nest[e] is set on a rocky cliff.
- Numbers 24:19 tn Or, understanding the Hebrew word for “city” as a place name, “of Ir” (cf. NRSV, NLT).
- Numbers 24:20 tn Heb “he”; the referent (Balaam) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Numbers 24:20 tn Heb “and he lifted up his oracle and said.” So also in vv. 21, 23.
- Numbers 24:20 sn This probably means that it held first place, or it thought that it was “the first of the nations.” It was not the first, either in order or greatness.
- Numbers 24:21 sn A pun is made on the name Kenite by using the word “your nest” (קִנֶּךָ, qinnekha); the location may be the rocky cliffs overlooking Petra.