American Standard Version
1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to draw up a narrative concerning those matters which have been [a]fulfilled among us, 2 even as they delivered them unto us, who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word, 3 it seemed good to me also, having traced the course of all things accurately from the first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus; 4 that thou mightest know the certainty concerning the [b]things [c]wherein thou wast instructed.Read full chapter
American Standard Version
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him; and without him [a]was not anything made that hath been made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in the darkness; and the darkness [b]apprehended it not. 6 There came a man, sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for witness, that he might bear witness of the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came that he might bear witness of the light. 9 [c]There was the true light, even the light which lighteth [d]every man, coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto [e]his own, and they that were his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he the right to become children of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 who were [f]born, not of [g]blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word became flesh, and [h]dwelt among us (and we beheld his glory, glory as of [i]the only begotten from the Father), full of grace and truth. 15 John beareth witness of him, and crieth, saying, [j]This was he of whom I said, He that cometh after me is become before me: for he was [k]before me. 16 For of his fulness we all received, and [l]grace for grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No man hath seen God at any time; [m]the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.Read full chapter
- John 1:3 Or, was not anything made. That which hath been made was life in him; and the life etc.
- John 1:5 Or, overcame. See 12:35 (Greek).
- John 1:9 Or, the true light, which lighteth every man, was coming
- John 1:9 Or, every man as he cometh
- John 1:11 Greek his own things.
- John 1:13 Or, begotten
- John 1:13 Greek bloods.
- John 1:14 Greek tabernacled.
- John 1:14 Or, an only begotten from a father. Compare Heb. 11:17.
- John 1:15 Some ancient authorities read (this was he that said).
- John 1:15 Greek first in regard of me.
- John 1:16 Or, grace upon grace
- John 1:18 Many very ancient authorities read God only begotten.