New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised
38 John said to him, ‘Teacher, we saw someone[a] casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.’ 39 But Jesus said, ‘Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterwards to speak evil of me. 40 Whoever is not against us is for us. 41 For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward.
Temptations to Sin
42 ‘If any of you put a stumbling-block before one of these little ones who believe in me,[b] it would be better for you if a great millstone were hung around your neck and you were thrown into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life maimed than to have two hands and to go to hell,[c] to the unquenchable fire.[d] 45 And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame than to have two feet and to be thrown into hell.[e][f] 47 And if your eye causes you to stumble, tear it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and to be thrown into hell,[g] 48 where their worm never dies, and the fire is never quenched.Read full chapter
- Mark 9:38 Other ancient authorities add who does not follow us
- Mark 9:42 Other ancient authorities lack in me
- Mark 9:43 Gk Gehenna
- Mark 9:43 Verses 44 and 46 (which are identical with verse 48) are lacking in the best ancient authorities
- Mark 9:45 Gk Gehenna
- Mark 9:45 Verses 44 and 46 (which are identical with verse 48) are lacking in the best ancient authorities
- Mark 9:47 Gk Gehenna
- Mark 9:49 Other ancient authorities either add or substitute and every sacrifice will be salted with salt
- Mark 9:50 Or how can you restore its saltiness?