New English Translation
22 So[a] he answered them,[b] “Go tell[c] John what you have seen and heard:[d] The blind see, the lame walk, lepers[e] are cleansed, the[f] deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have good news proclaimed to them. 23 Blessed is anyone[g] who takes no offense at me.”Read full chapter
- Luke 7:22 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “so” to indicate the relationship to Jesus’ miraculous cures in the preceding sentence.
- Luke 7:22 tn Grk “answering, he said to them.” This is redundant in English and has been simplified in the translation to “he answered them.”
- Luke 7:22 sn The same verb has been translated “inform” in 7:18.
- Luke 7:22 sn What you have seen and heard. The following activities all paraphrase various OT descriptions of the time of promised salvation: Isa 35:5-6; 26:19; 29:18-19; 61:1. Jesus is answering not by acknowledging a title, but by pointing to the nature of his works, thus indicating the nature of the time.
- Luke 7:22 sn See the note on lepers in Luke 4:27.
- Luke 7:22 tn Grk “and the,” but καί (kai) has not been translated since English normally uses a coordinating conjunction only between the last two elements in a series of three or more.
- Luke 7:23 tn Grk “whoever.”