New English Translation
21 On that same occasion[a] Jesus[b] rejoiced[c] in the Holy Spirit and said, “I praise[d] you, Father, Lord[e] of heaven and earth, because[f] you have hidden these things from the wise[g] and intelligent, and revealed them to little children.[h] Yes, Father, for this was your gracious will.[i]Read full chapter
- Luke 10:21 tn Grk “In that same hour” (L&N 67.1).
- Luke 10:21 tn Grk “he”; the referent (Jesus) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- Luke 10:21 sn Jesus rejoiced. The account of the mission in 10:1-24 ends with several remarks about joy.
- Luke 10:21 tn Or “thank.”
- Luke 10:21 sn The title Lord is an important name for God, showing his sovereignty, but it is interesting that it comes next to a reference to the Father, a term indicative of God’s care. The two concepts are often related in the NT; see Eph 1:3-6.
- Luke 10:21 tn Or “that.”
- Luke 10:21 sn See 1 Cor 1:26-31, where Paul states that not many of the wise, powerful, or privileged had responded to the gospel.
- Luke 10:21 tn Or “to the childlike,” or “the innocent” (BDAG 671 s.v. νήπιος 1.b.β).
- Luke 10:21 tn Grk “for (to do) thus was well pleasing before you,” BDAG 325 s.v. ἔμπροσθεν 1.b.δ states: “as a reverential way of expressing oneself, when one is speaking of an eminent pers., and esp. of God, not to connect the subject directly w. what happens, but to say that it took place ‘before someone.’”